Thursday, June 10, 2010

Interview of Aude-Emilie Dorion: Freelance photographer and writer

Freelance photographer and writer Aude-Emilie Dorion was born in France in 1980. She graduated in Art History and Theatre at la Sorbonne University in Paris and studied photography on her own. Sensitive to the effect of globalization on modern cultures and the inequity of the world’s economic development, tensions and transformations are at the heart of her creative work.
In the permanent flux of contemporary societies, her work oscillates between « lici et lailleurs », yesterday and today, local and international, private and public.

Merging Art and Social work she gives a particular attention to the urban environment and the left-appart communities.
She works in the fields of fine art, journalism, editorial and commercial photography.
You can find her pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audemnowadays/
Aude-Emilie Dorion recently gave an interview to Asianbiz. Here is the interview for the readers:

Why did you decide to become a photographer?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: It is a great honor to travel around the world and get to know different people, different cultures.
I suppose that photography from time to time became for me the best vector of communication.
When I take a picture that communicates, a picture where you can see the problems and the people,
I have the feeling to do something useful. I think I decided to become a photographer to try to help bringing better communication between people.

What kind of photography do you like?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: I love artistic photography but I have always been attracted by social documentary photography and photojournalism. There are a few photographers and journalists that take this art to a different dimension. When the Art becomes more social and political it reaches, I think, one of its primary functions: raising public awareness, acting as a catalyst for political changes.
Sebastiao Salgado, Brazilian photographer who initially worked for Sygma and then for Magnum photo, travels over the 5 continents focusing on human condition. Amongst his numerous projects Sahel, el fin del Camino 1988, Workers 1993 and Changing the World with Children for the Unicef organization.  His work is here as a testimony of the massive relocations of people caused by war, famine and the whiplashing of the global economy. Photography in that sense is a necessity. It is a universal language that doesn’t need translation. It is the collective memory of the world.

From you website I can see that you have traveled to Asia. What are the countries have you traveled in Asia and what are the differences that you felt among Asian countries while taking pictures?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: Asia is the world’s largest and populous area. It will probably take me a lifetime to see the whole Asian continent. So far I have been to the Middle-East region, to the South-East region to the Far East region. All countries are different; different culture, history, different economy and politics.
There are many differences among Asian countries but on a more global scale, I found myself seeing more intrinsic differences between the East and the West.
Traveling East, I encountered with some of the oldest continuous civilizations in the world.
I got introduced to the Asian way of life, where beliefs and rituals are still maintaining singular cultural identities. The Asian way consistently held a fundamental belief, unfortunately long time ago forgotten in the West, the belief in the unity of all life. This universal concept has made possible in the East what could never be in the West, the synthesis of a variety of beliefs and people.
In the East I experienced true tolerance and universal values.
I shared great moments in my journeys to Asia, I think that’s how I make pictures, by meeting with people telling them a little of me and they, a little of them. There is a lot more to a picture than what
we can actually see. Meeting with people is very precious to me.


Tell us something about your professional background.
Aude-Emilie Dorion: I have been working in the live performance industry as a merchandising sales manager for many years. It is an itinerant job that takes you on the road, touring with artists. It is an intensive life style.
I have wonderful memories of those years. I feel lucky, I have met nice individuals and beautiful sensitivities.  It’s been very exciting to work on various productions that range from massive concerts to more intimate shows. These experiences further inspired me to continue my exploration and development of Art as a multidisciplinary and innovative field of possibilities.

As far as I know, you are working with Nasrul Eam on setting up a photography magazine called Light and Composition. What is your plan about the magazine?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: Nasrul Eam, is a photographer and writer. He wrote wonderful books such as The Happy Children of the third world, a book that deals with present issues, the environmental crisis and global warming.
At the same time he also manages to bring into light the positive side of life.
The children are our future, we have to teach them well and let them lead the way.
Nasrul also publishes photography tutorials on line, in a continuous will of sharing his knowledge and sharing what he experiences on his journeys as a photographer.
He has a very interesting approach to the web and the now web 2.0. The web became one of the major places for social networking, it is a media that helps us sharing our views and see beyond our differences. I think that the purpose of the magazine is to offer photographers and photography lovers an interface where they can learn, exchange, share their views. The magazine will also see new artists emerging.

You learnt and now teach Yoga. What made you attracted to Yoga and Hinduism?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: Having studied History of Art and Theatre, with a special focus on Indian epics, I came across the Gita, the sacred Hindu scripture, considered among the most important texts in the history of literature and philosophy. I think the Gita changed a lot of my perspectives in life.
It is a practical, self-contained guide to life. Through the Gita I discovered Yoga.
The knowledge of Yoga has been then unveiled to me by an excellent teacher in Varanasi. The art of breathing. Controlling the breath, lengthening it to increase the life span.
According to Krishna, the root of all suffering and discord is the agitation of the mind caused by selfish desire. The only way to douse the flame of desire is by simultaneously stilling the mind through self-discipline and engaging oneself in a higher form of activity.
The practice of Yoga works for me as a self-discipline through which I can find my truth as a human being. I remember this one quote of my teacher,
“Without breathing where is meditation? Without meditation where is peace?
And without peace, where is happiness?”
I encourage your readers to go and visit his website at www.spicopy.com.

You have varied experience of doing research, working in a Radio program, photography etc. What is your plan for your future career?
Aude-Emilie Dorion: I have never been so much of a career person I always worked instinctively. I suppose I will continue my journey through Mankind. I am fascinated by Mankind. Mankind, constructive and destructive all at once.
Mankind and its environment. As long as there will be so many disparities in Mankind, I will be doing photography. From what I experienced on my journeys I would want to go more into documentary photography, working on long term-projects and publishing investigations.
I will try to photograph with all my ideology, contributing I hope making this world a better place.

0 comments: